Tuesday, August 22, 2006

opening pandora's box

The hubby and I are always on the hunt for new music. We got an ipod for Christmas which has opened up a whole new world...especially for these parents who are trying to stay relevant! Ha!
So, fellow music-lovers, if you haven't already, check out www.pandora.com. It is a fabulous site that allows you to explore new music similar to the genres/artists you already know and love. Just click on
Create a New Station and type in an artist or genre and they will create a "radio station" of songs they think you will enjoy! You can rate each song to tell them how closely they chose to your preferences.

We love it when people introduce us to new music so I thought I'd post some faves from my playlist:

  • Ray LaMontagne. I just recently discovered his music. His 2004 release, Trouble, is amazing. I highly recommend this guy! Soulful, comfy music! On the playlist...Shelter, from the above album.
  • An old favorite, David Wilcox, is probably my favorite songwriter. I cannot count the times I've seen him in concert. Great, great thought provoking folk music. One writer describes his music as "balm for the soul". I have to agree. On the playlist...Vista, Get On, Start with the ending, Good Man... and many more.
  • John Mayer-Comfortable is probably my favorite from his first independent release. Neon is also a favorite. Love everything on Room for Squares and really looking forward to the release of Contiuum next month.
  • My other favorite songwriter, though not in the folk genre, is Sting. I've liked him as long as I can remember. On the playlist...Bring on the Night (from the early days), 1000 Years (All this Time arrangement is a great one), Shape of my Heart, Fill 'er Up, If I ever lose my faith in you....
  • Corinne Bailey Rae-don't miss this new artist from across the pond. An itunes review says she could be "Billie Holiday's pop-influenced granddaughter." Check out Like A Star from her self-titled album.
  • Derek Webb's, Mockingbird, is a very honest collection of music. This guy will make you think...and about things that you need to think about! To quote one reviewer, "Study it. Argue with it. Wrestle with it." On the playlist, A King and a Kingdom and the title track, Mockingbird.
  • Mary J Blige and U2- One...a stirring rendition...
  • KT Tunstall...you know her for Black Horse and Cherry Tree and Suddenly I See...both songs were highlighted on hit tv shows this summer...American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance. I really like her sound.
  • Keane-songs on the playlist-Somewhere Only We Know, Is It Any Wonder?
  • Aqualung...love Brighter than Sunshine
  • coldplay...doesn't everyone love coldplay? faves on the playlist are the scientist
  • and white shadows
  • i couldn't forget my "mood" music. there's something about an acoustic guitar or banjo that just calms me down...and for some reason, makes me think of fall. my faves? phil keaggy's
  • beyond nature and bela fleck's tales from the acoustic planet. HAPPY LISTENING!

1 comment:

Tim Cabell said...

I think you'll like

http://pandorastations.crispynews.com

... a sort of digg-style site for Pandora stations.

Thanks!

Tim